- GATOR WEBSITE BUILDER CONTENT -
You can transfer a domain registered with Bluehost to your HostGator account by following the steps listed in this article.
This article will outline how to get a transfer key, also called an EPP code or authorization code, that you'd need to transfer.
Things to Keep in mind when Transfering a Domain:
You cannot transfer a domain within 60 days after the following events:
- Registering or transferring the domain name
- Updating the registrant contact organization
- Updating the registrant contact's first or last name. (organization is not listed)
Before You Begin a Transfer:
- First, verify the contact information is correct. This information may include turning off Privacy Settings to Verify that the administrator and Registrant contact information for the domain is accurate. All emails regarding the transfer will go to the administrator's email (or registrant's email for some domains).
- Ensure that the domain name is not locked, preventing transfer.
- Ensure that your new registrar is ready to accept the domain name.
- If you have a third-party Email Service attached to your domain, adjust your MX records with your new domain provider before transferring to prevent an interruption of your email service. You'll keep managing your email subscription through the host you purchased it from.
For more information on Transfers, see ICANN's Transfer Policy:
1. Transferring From your Bluehost account:
- Log in to your Bluehost Control Panel.
- Click the Domain Manager tab.
- Click the Domain name to highlight it. The right side will populate with different tabs.
- Unlock the domain on the LOCK tab.
- Turn off Privacy Protection on the PRIVACY tab if present.
- (OPTIONAL) Modify the nameservers to point to the new name servers in the NAME SERVERS tab.*Note: Do not do this unless you have already moved your site to our servers because you won’t be able to edit the name server settings during the transfer process.
- Get the EPP/Authorization Code from the Transfer EPP tab.
Make sure the contact info is up-to-date with the correct email address on the CONTACTS TAB for Registrant, Admin, and Billing. The Admin contact receives the email with the EPP Code about the transfer.
2. Submit Request for Transfer:
Once you have obtained the authorization code from your current domain registrar, also known as the EPP or transfer code, you will need to email the necessary details below to one of our advisors here: support@HostGator.com
- Domain name:
- Name domain is registered:
- Full address registered to:
- Email address registered to:
- Registered telephone number:
- EPP/Authorization/secret code:
3. Completing a Transfer:
Once you’ve completed the above steps and the status of the domain in the WHOIS shows “Pending Transfer,” - it will take between 7-10 working days to complete the transfer and receive validation from your current domain registrar.