Transferring a Domain to a New Registrar
Looking for help for the GATOR Builder by HostGator Website Builder product? Please see GATOR's Knowledge Base.
This content only applies to those using GATOR Builder by HostGator.
In the event that you’d like to transfer your domain to a new registrar, you are free to Contact Us anytime to start the process of moving the domain to your new registrar. To get started with the process:
- You’ll want to make sure your domain was registered with HostGator for at least 60 days. (Newly purchased or transferred.)
- Go to your Domains tab and Review the Contact Details, to ensure email and other details are up to date.
- OPTIONAL: Update Nameservers or DNS Records to point to a new host.
- Contact our technical support team and request to transfer the domain.
- The agent will then prep the domain for transfer by:
- Disabling domain privacy and theft protection.
- Sending out the EPP code in an email, to the email on file for the account.
- If the domain name is less than a year old, you may be subject to additional fees, which the agent will explain.
- Next, provide the EPP/transfer code to your new registrar.
- Be sure to look out for any emails that ask for your approval in transferring the domain name.
Please Note: Domain transfers can take anywhere from 7-15 days to complete. We are unable to expedite any domain transfers.