Transferring a Domain to a New Registrar
In the event that you’d like to transfer your domain to a new registrar, you are free to Contact Us anytime to start the process of moving the domain to your new registrar. Please note: If the domain name is less than a year old, you may be subject to additional fees, which any of our representatives can explain. To get started with the process:
- You’ll want to make sure your domain has been registered with HostGator for at least 60 days. (Newly purchased or transferred.)
- Go to your Domains tab within your account’s control panel.
- Choose the Domain Name you would like to transfer.
- OPTIONAL: Update Nameservers or DNS Records to point to a new host. Keep in mind that this will bring down the website and emails within 24-48 hours if they have not already been set up with the new host.
- Click the Transfer tab at the top.
- You will be prompted to Review the Contact Details, to ensure email and other details are up to date.
- Once you have reviewed the information click Prepare domain for transfer at the bottom of the page.
This will do the following:
- Disable domain privacy and theft protection.
- Send an EPP code in an email, to the email on file.
- Next, provide the EPP/transfer code to your new registrar.
- Be sure to look out for any emails that ask for your approval in transferring the domain name.
Please Note: Domain transfers can take anywhere from 7-15 days to complete once the transfer code is submitted. We are unable to expedite any domain transfers.