Transferring a Domain to a New Registrar
Looking for help for the Gator Website Builder product? Please see Gator's Knowledge Base.
This content only applies to those using Gator Website Builder.
In the event that you’d like to transfer your domain to a new registrar, you are free to Contact Us anytime to start the process of moving the domain to your new registrar. Please note: If the domain name is less than a year old, you may be subject to additional fees, which any of our representatives can explain. To get started with the process:
- You’ll want to make sure your domain has been registered with HostGator for at least 60 days. (Newly purchased or transferred.)
- Go to your Domains tab within your account’s control panel.
- Choose the Domain Name you would like to transfer.
- OPTIONAL: Update Nameservers or DNS Records to point to a new host. Keep in mind that this will bring down the website and emails within 24-48 hours if they have not already been set up with the new host.
- Click the Transfer tab at the top.
- You will be prompted to Review the Contact Details, to ensure email and other details are up to date.
- Once you have reviewed the information click Prepare domain for transfer at the bottom of the page.
This will do the following:
- Disable domain privacy and theft protection.
- Send an EPP code in an email, to the email on file.
- Next, provide the EPP/transfer code to your new registrar.
- Be sure to look out for any emails that ask for your approval in transferring the domain name.
Please Note: Domain transfers can take anywhere from 7-15 days to complete once the transfer code is submitted. We are unable to expedite any domain transfers.