Transferring a Domain to a New Registrar
- GATOR WEBSITE BUILDER CONTENT -
This content only applies to Gator Website Builder hosting plans which are accessible by going to app.gator.com.
For more articles, check out the HostGator Gator Website Builder category
or directly access the Gator Knowledge Base.
If you'd like to transfer your domain to a new registrar, you are free to contact us via phone or chat anytime to start the process of moving the domain to your new registrar.
- If the domain name is less than a year old, you may be subject to additional fees, which any of our representatives can explain.
- Ensure your domain has been registered with HostGator for at least 60 days (newly purchased or transferred).
To get started with the process:
- Go to your Domains tab within your account's control panel.
- Choose the Domain Name you would like to transfer.
- OPTIONAL: Update Nameservers or DNS Records to point to a new host. Keep in mind that this will bring down the website and emails within 24-48 hours if they have not already been set up with the new host.
- Click the Transfer tab at the top.
- You will be prompted to Review the Contact Details to ensure your email and other details are up-to-date.
- Once you have reviewed the information, click Prepare domain for transfer at the bottom of the page.
This will do the following:
- Disable domain privacy and theft protection.
- Send an EPP code in an email to the email on file.
- Next, provide the EPP/transfer code to your new registrar.
- Check for emails requesting your approval to transfer the domain name.
Note: Most transfers take between 7-10 days from confirming the authorization to transfer. Keep an eye on the status of your domain from any whois database you prefer. We cannot expedite any domain transfers, and be sure to reach out to us if you encounter any errors.