Transfer WordPress from WordPress.com to Your Self Hosted WordPress
Transferring a WordPress.com hosted blog to your self-hosted WordPress blog requires the following steps:
Step 1: Install WordPress on your hosting account
Please refer to the following article for detailed instructions on how to install WordPress on your HostGator hosting account using Softaculous or a manual installation:
Step 2: Export WordPress.com blog files
To export your WordPress blog files:
- Log in to your WordPress.com dashboard (example.com/wp-admin).
Note: Please replace example.com with your actual domain name.
- From the left-hand navigation menu, click Tools > Export.
- Download the XML (WXR) file to your local computer.
Step 3: Import WordPress.com blog files
To import your WordPress blog files to your self-hosted WordPress site:
- Log in to the WordPress dashboard on your HostGator account. For help logging into WordPress, please read: How to log into WordPress.
- From the left-hand navigation menu, click Tools > Import.
- Click Install or Run Importer under the WordPress option.
- In the browse box, navigate to the export file downloaded to your local computer in Step 2.
- Click the Upload & Import File button.