- GATOR WEBSITE BUILDER CONTENT -
You can transfer a domain registered with Tucows to your HostGator account by following the steps listed in this article.
This article will outline how to get a transfer key, also called an EPP code or authorization code, that you'd need to transfer.
Things to Keep in mind when Transfering a DomainYou cannot transfer a domain within 60 days after the following events:
- Registering or transferring the domain name
- Updating the registrant contact organization
- Updating the registrant contact's first or last name. (organization is not listed)
Before You Begin a Transfer
- First, verify the contact information is correct. This information may include turning off Privacy Settings to Verify that the administrator and Registrant contact information for the domain is accurate. All emails about the transfer will go to the administrator’s email (or registrant’s email for some domains).
- Ensure that the domain name is unlocked; this can prevent the transfer.
- Ensure that your new registrar is ready to accept the domain name.
- If you have a third-party Email Service attached to your domain, adjust your MX records with your new domain provider before transferring to prevent an interruption of your email service. You'll keep managing your email subscription through the host you purchased it from.
For more information on Transfers, see ICANN's Transfer Policy:
To transfer your domain from a Tucows account, you’ll want to follow these three steps:
1. Log in or Contact Tucows to complete the list below:
- Get your Authorization code.
- Unlock your domain.
- Disable domain privacy or Whois privacy.
- Make sure you have access to the admin email address associated with the domain.
2. Submit Request for Transfer
Once you obtain the authorization code, you will need to email the necessary details below to one of our advisors here: support@HostGator.com
- Domain name:
- Name domain is registered to:
- Full address registered to:
- Email address registered to:
- Registered telephone number:
- EPP/Authorization/secret code:
Once you’ve finished the above steps and the status of the domain in the WHOIS shows “Pending Transfer,” - it will take between 7-10 working days to complete the transfer and receive validation from your current domain registrar.