- GATOR WEBSITE BUILDER CONTENT -
Moving a domain name away from WordPress.com is relatively simple and can take some time to accomplish.
This article will show the process needed to transfer a domain with WordPress.com to another provider (known as a registrar).
Things to Keep in mind when Transfering a Domain:
You cannot transfer a domain within 60 days after the following events:
- Registering or transferring the domain name
- Updating the registrant contact organization
- Updating the registrant contact's first or last name (organization is not listed).
Before You Begin a Transfer:
First, verify that the contact information is correct. This information may include turning off Privacy Settings to Verify that the administrator and Registrant contact information for the domain is accurate. All emails regarding the transfer will go to the administrator's email (or registrant's email for some domains).
Ensure that the domain name is not locked, preventing transfer.
Ensure that your new registrar is ready to accept the domain name.
If you have a third-party Email Service attached to your domain, adjust your MX records with your new domain provider before transferring to prevent an interruption of your email service. You'll keep managing your email subscription through the host you purchased it from.
For more information on Transfers, see ICANN's Transfer Policy:
1. Complete the following steps with WordPress.com:
- Visit your site's dashboard.
- Click Upgrades, then select Domains.
- Once you see the list of domains in your account, click on the domain you wish to transfer.
- Click on Transfer your domain.
- Click on the Transfer lock on toggle button in the Advanced Options section to disable the transfer lock.
- Click the Get authorization code button.
- A banner message at the top right of the screen confirms that you have been sent a transfer code via email. Please allow up to 15 minutes for the email to arrive with the code. You will provide this code to your new registrar (as detailed in the next section.)
If you didn't receive the email, make sure the email address on file for your domain is correct. Your WordPress.com account email may be different from the email address associated with your domain. You can request another code by clicking the Get authorization code button.
*For domains ending in .nl, .com.br, and .net.br, we must request authorization codes from the domain registry. For .nl, codes are typically sent within a week. For .com.br and .net.br, they are sent within 72 hours.
2. Submit Request for Transfer:
After you request the authorization code from WordPress.com, you will need to email the necessary details below to one of our advisors here: [email protected].
- Domain name:
- Name domain is registered:
- Full address registered to:
- Email address registered to:
- Registered telephone number:
- EPP/Authorization/secret code:
3. Check the domain administrator's email:
- Accept the transfer: You will receive an email with instructions to complete the transfer.
- Receive confirmation: You will receive an email to confirm the transfer.
4. Completing a Transfer:
Once you've completed the above steps and the status of the domain in the WHOIS shows "Pending Transfer," - it will take between 7-10 working days to complete the transfer and receive validation from your current domain registrar.