The Difference between WHM and cPanel
The WHM and cPanel are administrative tools used to manage your web hosting. While both may seem to have a similar purpose, the WHM and cPanel have their own functionalities and roles that are unique to each other. This article provides you with a brief description of what WHM and cPanel are and the purpose and basic functionalities of each.
Web Host Manager (WHM)
The WHM is an application that allows administrative control within your VPS or Dedicated hosting. Within WHM, you have full control at the backend of multiple cPanel accounts, such as performing basic system and control panel maintenance and setting server-side limits and access.
Here are other functions you can do within WHM:
- Add, remove, reset, or suspend cPanel accounts
- Configure name servers
- Modify DNS records
- Manage hosting features
- Install/manage software or CMS that will be available for each cPanel account
- Grant or restrict user access to cPanel features
- Configure and monitor server status and resources
- Create/update reseller branding
- Manage SSL certificates for all accounts
Interested in learning more about WHM? Please check out the following articles:
- WHM Getting Started Guide - Here is a consolidated guide of WHM-related articles.
- What is WHM (Web Host Manager)? - This article provides more information about what WHM can do and how beneficial it is to use WHM in managing multiple cPanel accounts.
- Video Tutorial Library (WHM) - This article provides you with video tutorials related to WHM.
The cPanel is a site management panel that is used to perform various tasks for Linux web hosting in a user-friendly interface. With cPanel, users can control their particular account settings, such as creating email accounts and managing their files for a specific domain.
Some of the tasks you can do within your cPanel are the following:
- Manage your DNS records
- Manage domains and subdomains
- Create email and FTP accounts
- Install CMS/software for your website
- Manage your database
- Manage site files
- Activate cron jobs
Need to know more about cPanel? Please check out the following cPanel-related articles.
- A Beginner's Guide to cPanel - Here is a detailed guide about cPanel, providing you with features you can find within the cPanel.
- How to Log in to cPanel - This support guide provides instructions on how to log into your cPanel
- Learn cPanel - This article provides you with video tutorials related to cPanel.