Looking for help for the Gator Website Builder product? Please see Gator's Knowledge Base.
This content only applies to those using Gator Website Builder.
Long ago, in the early ages of computers, users would have to frequently revisit blogs and preferred websites to find out if anything new has appeared. In this millennium, computers can instantly tell us when something new has happened, the moment it happens; often in the form of notifications, emails, or feeds knowns as RSS.
RSS, or "Really Simple Syndication," is a standardized system for the distribution of unique content, such as blog posts, that comes from a preferred online internet source. In this article, we will cover How to add an RSS feed, and How to use an RSS feed with an RSS reader.
To add an RSS Feed Subscription button once you have added a blog:
- Start from the main account dashboard and navigate to the page you would like to add the RSS feed button to. For this example, we will add the RSS button to our Post Page. (Which is the template for how all blog posts look.)
- Next, click on Elements.
- Click on Blog Elements.
- Click on BLOG RSS. This element will anchor to your cursor.
- Click where you would like to drop the Blog RSS within the editor.
- Once set, be sure to Save and Publish your site so that people can begin subscribing to the blog.
There are many RSS Readers out there, but for this example, we will assume you are using a standard plugin to chrome.
- From the plugin (and in almost any case) you will have a section that looks similar to an email inbox. Here you will see a list of all the different RSS feeds that you may have subscribed to and some options for sorting out the content.
- When you select an item from the RSS feed, you should see a preview of what that content contains.
- As with most any RSS reader, you will have the ability to instantly view the content, mark the content as favorite or, mark as read.
- Each reader has its own look, feel, and set of options, but for the most part, they operate the same. Which reader you choose may depend on the type of computer you have or the type of browser you are using or simply what preferences you have.