Password Protecting Directories in Plesk
Plesk offers a variety of features and options for controlling, managing, and securing your site. One such security feature that is quite useful is the option to password protect a specific directory or folder.
To password-protect a directory:
- Log in to the Plesk administrative panel by going to:
Choose Websites and Domains in the top navigation bar:
- Select Password-Protected Directories from the list of options.
- Select Add Protected Directory.
- Provide the directory you wish to protect, then click OK.
Directory name: This is the directory or the document root of the domain you wish to protect.
Title of the protected area: This is the name you want to assign to your protected directory or folder.
When creating a password-protected directory, you would need to use "/" to protect the whole directory or "/foldername" for the subfolder.
For example, to protect example.com/admin, you would enter /admin for the Directory name.
- Once the directory is added, click your directory so you can set a user and password to access the directory.
o you can set a user and password to access the directory
- Click Add a User.
- Enter the username and confirm the password, then click OK.
Success! The directory is now secured. When viewed in a browser, a password prompt will appear and will only allow users with access to view the contents of the directory.
To remove your directory's protection:
- Put a checkmark on your directory.
Click Remove Protection found at the top of the search bar.
- Select Confirm removal, then click OK.