New Features Overview - Creative Cloud & Dreamweaver CS6
This article offers an overview of the new features in the Dreamweaver 12.1 update for Creative Cloud subscribers.
Business Catalyst and Browserlab
By Default, in the Designer Workspace, CS6 opens with the Business Catalyst and Browserlab panels open. If you do not use these features, you can remove them by doing the following:
- Click the Designer button.
- Scroll down the menu and click Reset Designer.
If you find that the addons will be needed later, they can be accessed in the Window menu.
The Insert Panel
The Insert menu in CS6 has been has been updated to reflect the same setup as the Insert Panel. CS6 features a large number of new icons. Users will notice when hovering over icons that they will remain monochrome; the color icon feature is no longer available.
New and Updated Categories
- Layout is now home to HTML5 semantic tags such as header, navigation, aside and article.
- Media is a new category that now allows users to utilize HTML5 audio and video, Flash-based movies and videos as well as the new Edge Animate Composition feature.
- Edge Animate's integration into CS6 makes importing and creating items such as animated slideshows a simple task. CS6 also intuitively saves and stores all files in a dedicated folder for easier user reference.
- Property Inspector allows users to manipulate videos with toggles for adding controls, autoplay, looping and mute in addition to applying alternative sources.
- The Form category now supports HTML5 input types such as email, URL and Tel; however, it no longer auto creates a label for input elements.
- In order to add labels to input elements, users must now use the label option and place them individually with each applicable element. This is to reduce the number of dialogue boxes in forms and to have users concentrate on the Properties Inspector.
Other New Features
Insert Tabs as Spaces
Users who prefer coding will appreciate the ability to insert tabs as spaces in CS6. To use this setting:
- Go to the Edit menu.
- Navigate to Preferences.
- Select Code Format from the category section.
- Check the box next to Insert as Spaces.
- Click OK.
Another new feature that CS6 offers is the newer icons for determining the origin of fonts. The monitor-like icon indicates that the font being used is a standard program font, whereas fonts with a small globe indicate that the font is from the web.
Mac Users will also appreciate that CS6 offers a new search bar to assist in the searching for files and documents with the search keywords. This feature is only available for Mac-based CS6 Users.
Dreamweaver 12.1 Creative Cloud Update
Dreamweaver is a popular Adobe program for creating websites and applications. It supports HTML5, CSS3, PHP, FTP, jQuery and more; and it works with HostGator web hosting.
You can learn more about Dreamweaver by visiting Adobe's website or the video learning portal, Adobe TV. The video in this article is courtesy of Adobe TV.