Exporting WordPress Site Using the Dashboard
It is possible to export a WordPress site using only the WordPress Dashboard itself. This is very useful if you are missing or do not currently have access to the database to export, or cannot use FTP.
If possible, we strongly suggest using database exports and FTP to retrieve your WordPress site as-is from the current location. If you have that access, please use these instructions:
If you are a new HostGator customer or upgrade your HostGator plan, you may be eligible for our free content transfer service.
If you are moving from a host where you used cPanel, you can perform a full backup, and our Migrations department may be able to help you restore it.
- Please contact us via phone or Live Chat to request a quote from our Migrations department.
- If you already have a quote or are eligible for a free transfer, please use our transfer form.
Step 1: Export your files from your current WordPress site
- Log in to your WordPress dashboard.
- Click Tools and then Export
- Select All content, and then press the Download Export File button.
- Choose where you wish to save the file to your computer. (Note: Some browsers may not automatically prompt you to provide a download location but rather will default to the Download folder on your computer.)
Note: This method will also function for moving from WordPress.com.
Step 2: Install an empty WordPress site on your HostGator account
Follow the instructions on the Softaculous article on how to install a script and select WordPress as the script to install.
Step 3: Import your content
- Log in to the new WordPress dashboard you created in Step 2.
- Click Tools and then Import.
- Choose WordPress as the system to import from and select Install Now under WordPress.
Note: If you are importing from Blogger.com, use the option labeled Blogger. It will prompt you to log in using your Blogger Username and Password.
- After the installation of the plugin, select Run Importer.
- Click the Choose File button.
- Browse your computer to locate the exported file you downloaded in Step 1 and select it.
- Click the Upload file and Import button.
- You can import, change, or add a new user to assign the newly added posts and pages in the Assign Authors section. If you want to leave everything as it is, click.
- Lastly, click Submit.
Step 4: Install Themes and Plugins
Although all your pages and posts have been migrated to the new WordPress site, you will still need to install any themes or plugins you had at your previous location. Here are articles that can assist you if you are having trouble there: