Moving WordPress, Dashboard Access
It is possible to transfer a WordPress site using only the WordPress Dashboard itself. This is very useful if you are missing or do not currently have access to the database to export or are unable to use FTP.
If possible, we strongly suggest using database exports and FTP to retrieve your WordPress site as-is from the current location. If you have that access, please use these instructions:
If you are a new HostGator customer or if you are upgrading your HostGator plan, you may be eligible for our free content transfer service.
If you are moving from a host where you used cPanel, you can perform a full backup and our Migrations department may be able to help you restore it.
- Please contact us via phone or Live Chat to request a quote from our Migrations department.
- If you already have a quote or are eligible for a free transfer, please use our transfer form.
Step 1: Export your files from your current WordPress site
- Log into your WordPress dashboard.
- Click Tools > Export.
- Select "All content" and then press the "Download Export File" Button.
- Choose where you wish to save the file to your computer.
Note: This method will also function for moving from WordPress.com.
Step 2: Install an empty WordPress site on your HostGator account
Detailed instructions (including a video on how to install WordPress using our QuickInstall program) can be found in this article:
Step 3: Import your content
- Log into the new WordPress dashboard you created in Step 2.
- Click Tools > Import
- Accept the installation of the Importer plugin
- Choose to activate and run the plugin once installed.
- From the list of Import choices, choose WordPress.
Note: If you are importing from Blogger.com use the option labeled Blogger. It will prompt you to log in using your Blogger username and password.
- Browse your computer to locate the export file you downloaded in Step 1 and select it.
- Click the "Upload file and Import" button
- In the "Assign Authors menu you can import, change, or add a new user to assign the newly added posts and pages. If you want to leave everything as it is- simply click "Submit"
Step 4: Install Themes and Plugins
Although all your pages and posts have been migrated to the new WordPress site, you will still need to install any themes or plugins you had at your previous location. Here are articles that can assist you if you are having trouble there: