HostGator uses a maildir system, meaning that all email boxes and messages are stored as files in folders on your account.
To access these files and folders:
- Log in to cPanel.
- In the Files section, click File Manager.
- On the left side, navigate to the Home directory (one step up from public_html).
- Open the mail folder.
Note: The new, cur, tmp, .Trash, and .Sent folders within the mail folder are NOT for any user-created email accounts. They are actually folders for the cPanel username.
- Inside the mail folder, find the folder for the domain of the desired email address.
- Inside the domain folder, you will find a folder for each email user for that domain. For example, when looking for firstname.lastname@example.org, open the example.com folder; inside, you will find a snappy folder along with any other email accounts for that domain.
- Open the folder for the desired email address, and you will find the new, cur, tmp, .Trash and .Sent folders for that particular email account.
We do not recommend that you change anything in these folders; however, accessing these folders can be very convenient if you want to mass delete a large number of emails or email accounts.