How to Whitelist Your IP Address - Windows Dedicated
You may need to whitelist your IP address on the server if you want to connect the the server remotely in some situations. For example, whitelisting your IP is necessary for remotely managing databases using software on your computer such as Microsoft Server Management Studio Express.
To whitelist your IP:
- Log into RDP (remote desktop).
- Go to Start.
- Select Administrative Tools.
- Click on Windows Firewall With Advanced Security.
- Click on Inbound Rules on the left-hand side.
- In the middle, click on MSSQL Server or MySQL.
- Under the MSSQL Server section, click Properties.
- Click the Scope tab.
- At the bottom, under Remote IP Address, click Add and add your IP.
- To find your computer's IP address, just go to hostgator.com/ip.shtml
- Click OK.
Instructions for steps 5 through 10 are illustrated below: