How to Update cPanel in WHM
If you are on a VPS or Dedicated hosting package with cPanel, you can manage and upgrade your cPanel version directly in WHM.
cPanel Upgrade Required - Security Patch: HostGator has partnered with cPanel regarding a recent security patch released on May 2021 to resolve an exploit known as 21Nails. We have deployed updates to all servers where updates were possible. Unfortunately, some servers could not be updated due to their disk space or other issues with their hosting environment.
To be secure, please make sure that your cPanel is using one of the following secured versions:
- 86.0.39 (For those on CentOS 6)
- 94.0.7 or higher (Recommended)
Instructions on how to upgrade cPanel within WHM:
- Log into WHM.
- Under Server Configuration, click Update Preferences.
- Select the Release Tier to set the version used to update cPanel and WHM. You won't be able to downgrade or select an older version to install.
- Scroll down and click Save.
- A green alert will appear with the following message - The system saved your settings locally and will apply your changes during the next update. To update now, click here.
Check out cPanel's documentation about the automatic update delay for more information about when updates will run.
- If you opt to run the update now, click on 'here' in the popup message or go to Upgrade to Latest Version under cPanel in the left menu.
- Select Click to Upgrade.
- A progress bar will appear and, upon completion, will show 100% with Upgrade complete under it.
- With the upgrade installed, a new button will appear in the upper right corner stating - You must reboot the server to apply software updates.
- Either select the button You must reboot the server to apply software updates or go to Graceful Server Reboot under System Reboot in the left menu to perform a reboot.
- Click Proceed >>.
Warning: This will reboot your system. When you do reboot your server, the message will not update when it's completed. Just log out and log back into WHM.
- The next time you log back into WHM, you will see the updated version in the top right-hand corner.