Optimizing MySQL Database Using phpMyAdmin
In phpMyAdmin, Optimize Table should be used to delete a large part of a table or make any changes to a table with variable-length rows, such as VARCHAR, TEXT, BLOB, etc., or VARBINARY columns. Deleted rows are maintained in the linked list, and insert operations reuse the old row positions. Optimize Table can reclaim unused space and defragment the data file for optimal performance. Optimizing the table can sometimes significantly improve performance if there are many changes made to a table.
Step 1: Launch phpMyAdmin
To access phpMyAdmin, please refer to the following articles for the complete set of instructions depending on your hosting control panel.
Step 2: Optimize Tables
- In the phpMyAdmin homepage, select the database you want to optimize from the list in the left pane, which should take you to the Structure tab by default.
- An expanded list of tables will appear on the left and wider on the right pane.
- Put a checkmark on the table(s) you wish to optimize.
- Click the drop-down menu at the bottom that says With selected and look for Table Maintenance.
- Select Optimize Table from the list to initiate the optimization.
- A confirmation prompt will appear on top, notifying you of the successfully executed query.