How to Move Your Blog from Tumblr to WordPress
Moving your Tumblr.com blog to your own self-hosted WordPress installation will provide you with more control over your blog. No longer will the URL to your site be yourblog.tumblr.com. Once a domain name has been purchased and a hosting account set up, WordPress can be installed; and the blog can be moved to http://example.com. This will provide a much neater, more professional URL to use on business cards, letterheads, etc. and will certainly make it easier for everyone to remember where to find your blog.
For more information on registering a domain name, please read the following article:
Install Tumblr Importer Plugin
After installing WordPress on your hosting account, you can begin the process of transferring content from your Tumblr blog to your new WordPress site. The Tumblr Importer plugin allows you to import posts, drafts and pages from Tumblr along with formatting.
- Log into WordPress Dashboard by via http://example.com/wp-admin.php or http://example.com/wp-login.php (replace example.com with your actual domain name).
- From the left navigation menu, click Plugins > Add New.
- Search "Tumblr Importer," then click Search Plugins.
- Click Install Now > Ok.
- Click Activate Plugin.
The Tumblr Importer should now be active and ready to use!
Import Tumblr Posts
To import your Tumblr blog to WordPress:
- From the left hand navigation menu in WordPress, click Tools > Import.
- Click Tumblr. This will take you to the Tumblr Importer screen which will provide an additional set of instructions to follow for importing posts from Tumblr.
- After completing the Tumblr Importer instructions, click Connect to Tumbler.
- Click Authorize the Application.
- Click Allow.
- Select the Tumblr blog you would like to import into your WordPress site, then click Import this Blog to continue.
- A status of "Finished!" should appear after a few minutes.
- Visit your WordPress blog and refresh the page to see the imported Tumbler posts.
For additional information on using the Tumblr Importer plugin, please visit the developer's website: