How to move an addon domain from one cPanel to another
Moving an addon domain between two separate cPanels is a different process than converting an addon domain to its own cPanel. If you are seeking to convert an addon domain to its cPanel, please refer to the following article:
As an alternative to making these migrations yourself or if the migration will be between two servers, HostGator offers migration services to cover the process on your behalf.
How to manually move an addon domain
Creating a backup of your website before making any changes is recommended. CodeGuard creates an automatic backup that you can count on!
To move an addon domain from one cPanel to another:
- Download the content of your addon domain to your local computer.
- Back up any associated database(s).
- Create a subfolder inside the new cPanel's public_html folder.
- Upload the content of your addon domain to this new folder.
- Restore the database backup(s) into the new cPanel.
- If the old cPanel and new cPanel are on the same server, return to the old cPanel and remove the addon domain under the Addon Domains icon.
Note: The original content or original databases do not need to be deleted.
- Go to the new cPanel.
- Click the Addon Domains icon.
- Enter the addon domain name where it says New Domain Name.
- For the Document Root, you must enter /public_html/subfolder/ (replace 'subfolder' with the name you chose in Step 3).
- Fill out the remainder of the form and click the Add Domain button.
- If the old cPanel and new cPanel are on different servers, you must update your addon domain name's nameservers or other DNS records.