How to Install WordPress With Softaculous
WordPress is one of the most popular blogging platforms around for a good reason. It is easy to install and features an attractive, user-friendly interface. At HostGator, you can install WordPress in several ways. In this article, we'll cover how to do so through Softaculous. We created this easy video tutorial to walk you through the process and then recap those steps below.
Installing WordPress using Softaculous
- Log in to your cPanel.
- Navigate to the Software section, then click on the Softaculous Apps Installer.
- On the Softaculous homepage, hover over WordPress and click Install.
- In Software Setup, fill out the Choose Installation URL section.
- Choose Protocol: It should default to the https:// option, ensuring that your website is secure by using the SSL certificate.
- Choose Domain: Select the domain where you wish to install Softaculous.
- In Directory: Typically, you would leave this blank. This field is utilized if you're trying to install WordPress in a sub-directory.
Complete the rest of the installation setup. Choose the version of WordPress you want to install. We recommend using the most recent release, as it will be the most secure and should be compatible with most themes and plugins.
- In the Site Settings section, you'll need to enter a Site Name and Site Description. This can be whatever you want and can be changed after the installation.
- Complete the Admin Account section.
- Admin Username: We suggest using something other than the default 'admin' for the username, as this is the default for all WordPress installations and poses a security risk.
- Admin Password You can create a password or generate one using the key icon.
- Admin Email: This is where WordPress notifications will be sent, including password reset (if you forget your password).
- Choose Language allows you to select the default language for your site.
- Select Plugin(s) section allows you to select plugins to use for your site.
- In the Advanced Options section, the options don't need to be changed, but they include the database name, table prefix, disable update notification emails, set auto-upgrade, and more.
- The Select Theme allows you to select a theme to use for your site. By default, WordPress uses a theme named after the year, but you can choose one that fits the purpose of your website.
- Once done, click Install. A progress bar will show your installation status and refresh once the installation is complete. Do not close the browser while this is in progress, as it can interrupt the installation.
- Congratulations! Your WordPress site is now ready for you to customize!
Are you not able to access your newly installed WordPress site?
Make sure the domain you're using is registered and connected to HostGator. Please check out this article if you're having login issues.
Not sure how to update your name servers? Here are support articles to guide you in updating your name servers.
Do you wish to see more videos about WordPress?
We created a video series to help you create and customize your WordPress website. Here are the links to our "Building your First WordPress Website" video tutorials.
- How to Choose and Install a WordPress Theme - Ep 1 Workin' with WordPress
- How to Customize a WordPress Theme - Ep 2 Workin' with WordPress
- How to Create and Edit a Page in WordPress - Ep 3 Workin' with WordPress
- WordPress Navigation Menu and Widgets - Ep 4 Workin' with WordPress
- Building your Homepage with WordPress Block Editor - Ep 5 Workin' with WordPress
- How to Install and Activate WordPress Plugins - Ep 6 Workin' with WordPress
- How to Create WordPress Blog Post - Ep 7 Workin' with WordPress
- How to Build an Online Store with WooCommerce - Ep 8 Workin' with WordPress