How to Install WordPress With Softaculous
WordPress is one of the most popular blogging platforms around for a good reason. It is easy to install and features an attractive, user-friendly interface. At HostGator, you can install WordPress in several ways. In this article, we'll cover how to do so through Softaculous. We created this easy video tutorial to walk you through the process and then recap those steps below.
Install WordPress Using Softaculous
- Log in to your cPanel, navigate to the Software section, and then click on the Softaculous Apps Installer.
- After the Softaculous application loads, hover over WordPress and click Install.
- The first section is the Software Setup:
- The first thing you have to do is choose the version of WordPress you want to install. We recommend using the most recent release, as it will be the most secure and should be compatible with most themes and plugins.
- For the Installation URL, you'll choose the domain you want to install WordPress for.
- Choose Protocol: It should default to the https:// option, ensuring that your website is secure by using the SSL certificate.
- Choose Domain: This dropdown allows you to select the domain you want to install WordPress on.
- In Directory: Typically, you would leave this blank. This field is utilized if you're trying to install WordPress in a sub-directory.
- In the Site Settings section, you'll need to enter a Site Name and Site Description. This can be whatever you want and can be changed after the installation.
- To complete the Admin Account section:
- Admin Username: We suggest using something other than the default 'admin' for the username, as this is the default for all WordPress installations and posing a security risk.
- Admin Password You can create a password or generate one using the key icon, and the strength indicator will let you know how strong your password is.
- Admin Email: This will be used if you ever forget your password and need to reset it.
- Choose Language allows you to select the default language for your site.
- Advanced Options: These options don't need to be changed, but they include the database name, table prefix, disable update notification emails, set auto-upgrade, and more.
- Select Theme: This allows you to select a theme to use for your site. By default, WordPress uses a theme named after the year, but you can choose one that fits the purpose of your website.
- Then click Install, and it will show you a progress bar while it installs, and then it will refresh once the install is complete. Do not close the browser while this is completing, as it can interrupt the installation.
- Congratulations! Your WordPress site is now ready for you to customize!
Are you not able to access your newly installed WordPress site?
Make sure the domain you used is registered and that its name servers have been updated to point to HostGator.
Not sure how to update your name servers? Click on these links for you to start updating your name servers:
Did you enjoy this video tutorial? We have another one here on How to Build a WordPress Website, where we'll walk you through what to do now that WordPress is installed.