How to Install WordPress
WordPress is one of the most popular blogging platforms around for a good reason. It is easy to install and features an attractive, user-friendly interface. At HostGator, you can install WordPress through QuickInstall, Softaculous, or manually.
In the following tutorials, we'll cover the QuickInstall route for a WordPress self-hosted installation. It's a bit easier than a manual installation, and it only takes a click or two! Use the following links to navigate to your hosting plan type.
- To install WordPress using Quick Install on a Shared Server
- To install WordPress using Quick Install on a Reseller, VPS, or Dedicated Server
To install WordPress using Quick Install on a Shared Server
- Log in to your cPanel.
- In the Software section, click on the QuickInstall icon.
- Then click on the WordPress tile.
- Using the drop-down menu, chose the domain that WordPress should be installed. The second box that contains 'directory' is typically left blank. This field is utilized if you're trying to install WordPress in a sub-directory.
Example: Should you wish your WordPress URL to be example.com/site instead of just example.com.
- Click Next and complete the form that appears with the following details:
- Blog Title - Enter the name of the website. This is what will appear in the header as the name of your site. This can be changed when you edit your site.
- Admin Username - Choose an administrator username. We highly suggest using something other than the default 'admin,' as this can pose a security risk.
- First Name
- Last Name
- Admin Email - Enter the email address where you want the admin password emailed. Make sure this is a working email address that you can access.
- Check the box next to the Terms of Service Agreement.
- Click the orange Install button when you're ready to proceed.
- A progress bar will inform you of the progress of your installation. When complete, your admin URL, username, and password will be displayed. You can click on Login to go to the admin dashboard sign-in page and use the credentials presented, or you can click on View My Installs and reset your admin password.
Once the installation is complete and you have your credentials, you can begin working on your WordPress site! Check your email for the WordPress username and password, as well as a link to your WordPress login page.
To install WordPress using Quick Install on a Reseller, VPS, or Dedicated Server
- Log into your cPanel.
- In the Software/Services section, click on the QuickInstall icon.
- Complete the form that appears with the following details:
- The domain for your installation.
- The subdirectory you would like the site to load from if desired.
Example: Should you wish your WordPress URL to be mydomain.com/site instead of just mydomain.com. Your site will always display this extension if you enter one.
- For Admin Email, enter an email address where you want the admin password emailed. Make sure this is a working email address.
- For Blog Title, enter the name of the website. This is what will appear in the header as the name of your site.
- For Admin Username, enter your preferred user name.
- Your first name.
- Your last name.
- Click Install WordPress when you're ready to proceed.
A progress bar at the top of the page will let you know when the installation is complete. Once complete, you will be able to start working on your WordPress site. Check your email for your WordPress username and password, as well as a link to your WordPress dashboard.
You may also find your credentials by clicking View Credentials in the bar at the top of the page: