How to Configure SmartFTP
A connection to the sever must be made before you can use SmartFTP to upload and manage your web files. This article will outline the steps for connecting to your server using SmartFTP.
Configuring a Connection
- Go to File and select New Connection.
- In the Host field, enter the correct Host/Domain/IP address. This could be the server name, the server IP, domain name and in some cases ftp.domain.com. For a HostGator account, your domain will be fine as long as it is properly pointed towards the server.
- In the Port field, enter the correct port number. Port 21 is your default FTP port. If you would like to connect securely, please see our Secure FTP (SFTP) article for more information.
- In the Path field, enter the file path to the location to which you would like to upload files (example: public_html).
- Set Login Type to Username and Password.
- In the Username and Password fields, provide either your cPanel username and password or the credentials for an FTP account which you have already created through cPanel.
- Click OK.
You should now be successfully connected to your remote server using SmartFTP.