Remotely Accessing Microsoft SQL Server
When opening MS SQL Management Studio, you will see a login screen that requires the following details:
- Server Type - Select Database Engine.
- Server Name - You can use any address which resolves to your server, including:
- Your account's IP address.
- Server hostname (e.g., hgws20.win.hostgator.com)
- Your domain name (must be pointed to our server)
- Authentication -Dedicated Server owners can only use Windows Authentication. This option is for if you are logging in remotely without using SQL Server Authentication or if you are connecting with Remote Desktop.
- Login - This will be your database username, which can be found in the Websites & Domains section Plesk Panel by selecting the Databases icon and selecting the database you wish to use.
- Password: This will be your database user password.
Common Issues When Logging In
The following is a common error message which may occur when you attempt to log into MS SQL Server remotely:
There are several possible solutions to this error listed below. If you are still receiving an error message after eliminating these possibilities, please contact us via phone or Live Chat for assistance.
The password you're using to log in may be incorrect. To resolve this issue, change the database password to something easier to remember.
Check Local Firewall/Security Settings
Check your router, firewall, and antivirus that all have the potential to block access to this port. Please contact the manufacturer of these devices for modification procedures.