Remotely Accessing Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2
When opening MS SQL Management Studio, you will see a login screen which requires the following details:
- Server Type - Select Database Engine.
- Server Name - You can use any address which resolves to your server, including:
- Your account's IP address
- Server hostname (e.g. PSS20.win.hostgator.com)
- Your domain name (must be pointed to our server)
- Authentication - Windows Authentication can only be used by Dedicated Server owners. This option is for if you are logging in remotely without using SQL Server Authentication or if you are connecting with Remote Desktop.
- Login - This will be your database username which can be found in the Websites & Domains section Plesk Panel by selecting the databases icon and then selecting the database you wish to use.
- Password: This will be your database user password.
Common Issues When Logging In
The following is a common error message which may occur when you attempt to log into MS SQL Server remotely:
There are several possible solutions to this error listed below. If you are still receiving an error message after eliminating these possibilities, please contact us via phone or Live Chat for assistance.
The password you're using to log in may be incorrect. To resolve this issue, simply change the database password to something easier to remember.
Check Local Firewall/Security Settings
Check your router, firewall and/or antivirus which all have the potential to block access to this port. Please contact the manufacturer of these devices for modification procedures.