How Do I Run a Traceroute on a Mac?
Traceroute is a utility that records the route between your computer and your HostGator server. It also displays the amount of time each hop takes. If you cannot reach your site, a traceroute will help us determine the issue.
To run traceroute on a Mac, follow these steps:
These steps were created using Mac OS X. For earlier operating systems, you will need to download and use a third-party program.
- From your hard drive, open the Applications folder and click Utilities folder.
- Double-click Terminal.
- In the Terminal window, type traceroute followed by your domain name and hit enter.
In this example, example.com is used. Be sure to replace example.com with your actual domain name.
- Check for times between hops greater than 200 ms or that return asterisks ***, which indicates that your request has timed out.
To copy the information follow these steps:
- Select the results, and then right-click and select Copy or press COMMAND+C to copy the text.
- Paste the text into a text editor and save the file.