Hidden file and folder names start with a dot (.). For example:
Show Hidden Files
When using File Manager, you cannot see hidden files and folders unless you select the option to show hidden files. The method for displaying hidden files depends on whether you are using Paper Lantern as your theme, or X3:
Paper Lantern Theme
If you are using Paper Lantern as your cPanel theme, then you can change whether or not to display hidden files at any time from within the File Manager:
- From within File Manager, click Settings in the top right corner.
- In the new popup, check or uncheck Show Hidden Files (dotfiles).
- Click the Save button to save your preference.
If you are using X3, it is recommended that you switch to Paper Lantern. X3 requires that you select whether or not hidden files will be visible at the time that you open the file manager:
- In the Files section of cPanel, click the File Manager icon. A new window will pop up.
- If you do not see a pop-up box, follow the directions to reset your interface settings below.
- Select the check box for Show Hidden Files (dotfiles).
- Click Go.
If you have previously selected Skip this question, and always open this directory in the future when opening File Manager when this popup appeared, you will need to reset your cPanel options in order to be offered this popup again:
- Use the Find search box to search for "reset all interface settings".
- To the right of the search box, click the reset all interface settings link.
You will now be given the option to display hidden files when opening the file manager.