Creating a Web Hosting Account in Plesk
To get your first website set up in Plesk, you will first need to create a customer account that can host it. While you can create websites as the administrator account (this is what happens in Power User mode), it will limit you later on if you choose to add more domains later on, or if you need to move the domain to another server.
- Start by clicking "Customers" in the left navigation bar, and then "Add New Customer" in the page that appears.
- Provide at least a contact name and email address in the "Contact Information" of the provided form, but make sure the email address is different from the one the administrator account is using or you will get an error. The other fields in this area are optional, but they will make SSL certificate generation easier later on.
- In the "Access to Panel" section, you should put the username and password you would like to use to manage the customer account. It is strongly suggested that you choose a different password than the one you chose for the admin account, and that you use this account whenever you have changes to make to your domains.
- At this point, you can choose whether to create a subscription for the customer account immediately or wait until later when you log in as the new user. Since we are setting up web hosting now, leave the "Create subscription for the customer" checkbox checked and continue.
- In the "Domain name" box, type the domain name you want to host, without the "
www" in front. You should already have this domain registered and the nameservers for it delegated to your Plesk server at the registrar, so if you have not done that already you should do it before continuing.
- The "IP address" you choose depends on whether you have other sites on the server and whether you will be using SSL. Since we plan to use SSL, we will need to use the dedicated IP. Choose that one and continue.
- There is a second username and password here you will need to set. This username and password is for the FTP login you will use to upload your site later on. You will need to select a different username and password from the Customer account here. This is a username and password you might give to a developer, so make sure it is not one you use very often.
- The "Service plan" for the subscription determines the resources available to the site. We will be configuring this later on, so for now leave it as "Default Domain".
- Next, you can select any add-ons for this subscription, such as Web Presence Builder - the new name for Plesk Sitebuilder. We will not need any add-ons for this account, so we can leave this setting alone for now.
- Finally, there is a checkbox at the bottom of the page that will allow you to customize the subscription you create for the customer. Again, we will be doing this later in a better way, so leave the checkbox unchecked and click on "OK" to set up the new customer account.