Configuring Thunderbird Email
- GATOR WEBSITE BUILDER CONTENT -
Thunderbird Email client by Mozilla touts itself as "the leading open source cross-platform email and calendaring client" for businesses and personal use. The setup and use of this tool are similar to other popular mail clients; however, Mozilla offers a range of features and benefits. To Download the Thunderbird Email Client, Checkout: https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/.
In this article, we will walk through the basic setup steps for the latest version of Thunderbird. Since this is a third-party tool, you can always reach out for support here: Mozilla's Support Page. You can also check out the Generic Email Settings, which should help with a manual setup if you require it.
Configuring the Email Client
The Latest version of Thunderbird has the ability to grab most of the necessary information automatically by entering your username and password. However, you may need your incoming mail server, outgoing mail server, full email address, and email password.
- Open Mozilla Thunderbird.
- Look for the EMAIL option under the Accounts section where you see the text, Set up an account.
A new page will load for you to Set up an Existing Email Account.
Provide the needed details:
- Your Name: Your name to display on your email (example: John Smith)
- Email Address: Your full email address (example: email@example.com)
- Password: Enter the email password
- Remember password: Check the box (Recommended)
You should see a prompt acknowledging that the Configuration Settings were Found, and you will see the IMAP and POP Incoming and Outgoing Server options.
Select Done, and the email client will open a new window to log into the email address you provided for verification. (For Manual Set Up See instructions below)
Once logged in, your email provider will have you confirm allowing Mozilla access to your email:
After you select Allow, you will land back inside the email client, and it should begin populating your email into the designated folders.
Manual Configuring Email
Manually configuring your email means you would like to enter your server details and port numbers. Follow the steps below to accomplish this.
1. Click Manual Config.
2. Fill in the following information:
- Your Name: Your name to display in your email. (example: John Smith)
- Email Address: The full email address you are trying to set up. (example: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Password: Enter your email password.
- Incoming (Type): IMAP
- Incoming Server Hostname: imap.example.com - Be sure to replace example.com with your domain name.
- Incoming Port: Set to 143
- Incoming SSL: Your preference. If you choose SSL/TLS, have the incoming server, and port reflects their appropriate SSL settings.
- Incoming Authentication: We recommend a normal password.
- Outgoing Server Hostname: smtp.example.com - Be sure to replace example.com with your domain name.
- Outgoing Port: Set to 587
- Outgoing SSL: Your preference. If you choose SSL/TLS, have the outgoing server, and port reflects their appropriate SSL settings.
- Outgoing Authentication: We recommend a normal password.
3. Click Create Account to complete the setup.
4. More optional settings are available to configure to further personalize your Thunderbird email client. For additional help, we advise you to refer to Thunderbird's support site for help with these settings.