Setting up your HostGator email to work with Outlook is, for the most part, easy to accomplish. Knowing this is a 3rd party mail client, we may not be able to troubleshoot any issues that could arise between the client, wifi settings, computer versions, and firewalls, etc. It's important to remember that this article will provide the basic settings for most versions of Outlook. For more information about Outlook, please review: Microsoft's support documentation.
If you have set up an email address with HostGator and wish to send and receive your emails in the Outlook mail client, this article will provide the necessary steps for either mobile or computer clients.
Pro Tip: Since there are so many different types of phones, tablets, computers, Outlook versions, and networks involved, this article will cover only the basic settings you will need. It's always recommended to reach out to someone who understands your device from a professional standpoint should you experience issues setting up email on a 3rd party mail client. This article, by no means, should serve as a comprehensive guide covering computer/phone specifics.
Before you begin:
Before starting, make sure you have the following information on hand or available. You can find these settings within the Email section of your account or by reaching out to support via chat/phones/ticket.
You will need:
- incoming mail server - e.g. "pop.yourdomain.com" or "imap.yourdomain.com"
- outgoing mail server - e.g., smtp.yourdomain.com
- full email address - e.g., firstname.lastname@example.org
- email password - the password configured for your email account
- Open Outlook and navigate to the "Add Account" option.
- Choose "Manual setup" or "additional server types" then "Next."
- Choose POP or IMAP and select "Next."
Fill in the information Outlook requires as you see it in your account settings:
- Your Name: The name to display on your email.
- Email Address: The full email address you are trying to set up.
- Account Type: POP or IMAP
- Incoming Mail Server: Enter "pop. + your domain"
- Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP): Enter "SMTP. + your domain"
- User Name: Your full email address
- Password: Your email password
- Remember Password:(Optional) We recommend having this checked.
- Require logon using Secure Password Authentication (SPA): (Optional) We recommend having this unchecked.
You may need to select "More Settings" then "Outgoing Server" to configure additional settings:
- Check My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication.
- Check Use the same settings as my incoming mail server.
Navigate to the "Advanced settings" then fill in the following information:
- Incoming Server (POP Port): 110
- Use the next type of encrypted connection (Incoming): Optional.
If enabled, change Incoming Server to (POP Port to 995, IMAP Port 993.)
- Check Outgoing Server (SMTP Port): 587
- Use the following type of encrypted connection (Outgoing): Optional.
If enabled, set Outgoing Server (SMTP Port) to 465.
Go through the confirmations "OK" and "NEXT" then click "Finish" to complete the set-up.