Cloudflare CDN Overview
Cloudflare improves the speed and responsiveness of websites globally by caching frequently requested files and web pages to optimize page load time and reduce latency. The Cloudflare CDN feature is FREE for HostGator Shared Business customers.
- Pros and Cons of Cloudflare CDN
- Do I Need To Change My Name Servers To Use Cloudflare?
- How to Enable/Disable the Cloudflare CDN
Pros and Cons of Cloudflare CDN
- Improved Site Performance: Cloudflare CDN improves text, image, and video content speed, which reduces load time. Quicker load time means a better experience for your users.
- Global Content Delivery: Cloudflare CDN consists of over 150 edge locations strategically positioned across the globe. These locations cache frequently requested files and web pages to serve optimized web content to visitors from the location closest to them.
- Reduced Latency: With locations around the globe, Cloudflare CDN helps reduce the time a request takes to reach the server and return a web page. Your content is served up fresh, anytime, anywhere.
- Spam Reduction: Cloudflare CDN leverages data from third-party resources to reduce the number of spam comments on your site.
- Lower CPU Usage: With Cloudflare CDN, fewer requests will hit our servers which means reduced CPU usage attributed to your account.
- Always Available: Cloudflare has an offline browsing mode where visitors should still access your site if our server is unavailable.
- Currently, you cannot customize cache settings (i.e., which content gets cached, the cache timing, etc.) for the CDN.
- Cloudflare caches the static content from your site, so while this will reduce the load on the server, it means if you change to an existing static file (like an image), then there may be a delay before the change appears.
Do I Need To Change My Name Servers To Use Cloudflare?
If you purchased and registered your domain with HostGator, you can automatically enable Cloudflare. However, if you purchased a domain with another provider, you will need to ensure that your domain is using HostGator name servers. For more information on how to check and change name servers, you can reference our guide here.
How To Enable/Disable the Cloudflare CDN
To manage Cloudflare CDN:
- Log in to the Customer Portal.
- From the dashboard, locate your hosting package.
- Click on the Cloudflare CDN link under Manage.
- On the Cloudflare CDN page, you will see the CDN Status.
On:The On status is green to indicate that the CDN is active on the domain.
Off:The Off status is light gray to show that the CDN is not applied to the domain.
Error:The Error status is red to indicate that the CDN could not be applied to the domain. It's possible that the domain is not connected/pointing to HostGator. Click the guide link in the pop-up for steps on how to connect your domain with HostGator.
- Under the CDN column, click Turn off CDN to disable or Turn on CDN to enable Cloudflare CDN.
- A pop-up window will appear requesting confirmation.
Turn On CDN:Turning on the CDN may take a few minutes to complete.
Turn Off CDN:Turning off the CDN will slow down your website performance and may take affect your search ranking.
- Select preferred action.