CentOS 5 Upgrades
CentOS 5 has reached its End of Life, March 31st, 2017, and CentOS 6 will soon follow, November 30, 2020 (source). After this date there will be no new security updates and any servers still running this OS may become vulnerable to newly discovered security issues.
HostGator recommends upgrading your OS by migrating your data to a new server that has up to date software. To upgrade to a new server with a current operating system:
- Purchase a new VPS or Dedicated server which matches the package level of your existing server.
- Once the server is provisioned, fill out the transfer form for assistance with migrating:
Given the end of security updates for CentOS 5, HostGator recommends making this change as soon as possible.
Alternatively, we can perform an OS reload. Please note that a reload is final and there is no reversing the process after the reload is performed. If this is an acceptable option, please see the following support article: OS Reloads.
- All VPS and Dedicated servers come with CentOS 7 so you do not need to make any special requests.
- PHP 7.1 through 7.3 are installed by default and supported. PHP 5.4 through 5.6 can potentially be installed through EasyApache4 although is inadvisable as they're older PHP versions. PHP 5.2 and 5.3 can not be installed, and as such, sites requiring those PHP versions would need to be updated/brought in line with newer PHP coding.
- HostGator is able to install newer versions of PHP on older servers so that scripts can be tested prior to a migration.
- The migration process will also provide you with a way to review your sites before updating your DNS.
For further information please see the following article:
How Do I Change My Hosts File?