BaseKit: How to Add Video
Are you uploading or embedding?
If you want to add video from YouTube, Vimeo or smilar sites, you are embedding the video. What this means is that the video is located on the video site, and you are displaying it as part of your web page. The video itself is not actually stored on your hosting account.
If you want to add a video file to your site from your computer's hard drive, then you are uploading the video rather than embedding it. You would need to upload the video from the Files tab instead.
Should I upload or embed?
It really is up to you. Uploading the video will give you more control over the look of the video's player, however if you upload your video to YouTube or another video site, and embed the code instead, you get additional distribution of your video on that site.
Do you need the Video widget or the Embed Widget?
If your embed code starts with <iframe> then you would want to use the Embed widget instead of the Video widget. If your embed code starts with <object> then use the video widget as described below.
Adding a Video to your Website in BaseKit Video
Embedding the Video
First you will need to use the Video Widget to place the video on the page where you want it. It will insert a placeholder video that you can change in the later steps.
- Click on the Widgets tab.
- Click on the Contents tab to expand it (if not already expanded)
- Drag the Video icon onto the page where you want it.
- Once one the page, you can resize the video by using the white squares on the edges of the video.
- You can also move the video around the page to place it where you want by clicking anywhere on the video or on the move icon immediately above the video.
Selecting Your Video / Getting the Embed Code
Now that the Video Widget is placed on the page where you want it, we will need to obtain the video embed code from YouTube or another source. In this example, we will use YouTube, but you can actually use any valid video embed code.
Getting the Embed Code from YouTube
In a new tab or window, you will want to open YouTube. Keep BaseKit open in another tab or window so that we can get back to it in a moment.
- Find the video on YouTube you want to upload. If it is your own video, you will need to upload it to YouTube first.
- Click on the Share button under the video.
- Click on the Embed button that appears after clicking on the Share button.
- The embed code and several options should appear.
- Check "Use old embed code."
- Select the size of the video by clicking on the desired size. You can alternately select a specific width and height if you do not want to use the predefined sizes.
- Copy the embed code.
Added the Embed Code in BaseKit
Now that you have the embed code, we can insert it into your Video Widget in BaseKit.
- Select the video by clicking on it (if its not already selected).
- Click on the Gear icon to open the Settings panel.
- Paste the embed code you obtained from YouTube, Vimeo or any other video site into the Embed Code field. If there is something already there, you can replace it with the new embed code you just obtained. This should change the video.
- Click on the X to close the Settings panel.
A screenshot of the video will appear in edit mode. The video will not play in edit mode, but will be fully functional once published.on the final site.