Dear Mr. Oxley | HostGator Blog

HostGator Blog!

Web Hosting Made Easy!

Blog / Adventures of Snappy

Dear Mr. Oxley

Friday, September 30, 2011 by

I receive hundreds of emails a month from customer’s thanking me for the great service we provide and even a few letters utilizing the old fashion snail mail method.

The majority of snail mail reviews I receive are complaints about the web hosting services my company has provided. The only problem is that more times then not they get my name correct and the company I own wrong.

The Letter:

I decided to have a little fun with my response to them…………

Dear Customer,

I’m emailing you in regards to a letter I received in the mail from you today. In this letter you described a few recent negative support experiences you had with Inmotion hosting. I wish I could say I’m sorry for these negative experiences you had but unfortunately I’m not.

In fact It pleases me slightly to hear about your poor experience with Inmotion. I highly recommend you take your business to hostgator.com immediately.

As owner of Hostgator I’ll do everything in my power to make sure you receive 99.9% uptime along with 24/7 quality support. If you’re interested in signing up with us I’ll be happy to give you the first 6 months of service free to try us out. I’ll also do my best to make sure that the correct owner of Inmotion gets this message. =)

Please let me know if there is anything else I can assist you with.

Sincerely,

Brent Oxley

I respectfully request that if you’re going to snail mail me a complaint that you double check that I do in fact own the company your complaining about. These things make me feel absolutely terrible up until the point where I figure out it’s the wrong company.

Just to clarify………

I do not own nor have I ever had any ownership in Inmotion.
I do not own Godaddy either. I’m not sure why but I have received multiple complaint letters with people mixing me up with them. (ewwwwwww)

Phone Calls:
I also ask that if you’re going to call our support line that you try to remember that you are calling us, and whatever you do don’t sound as crazy as this woman who called us last week……

13 Comments
  • guest1
    5 October 2011 at 9:51 am

I’m with David. I liked coming here to read the blog. Get some more stuff up here. Your blog is missing recent info. Here is what I was looking for: More pics of the new office. Info on the domain registration. How about a little more news on Oxley himself… I remember reading something that he was living on the top floor (or one of the floors) of the 1st host gator building in texas. Updates..???

• HostGator Blog
    5 October 2011 at 8:54 pm

Hi All,

Let’s see if I can address all your comments………

Daniel I’m very sorry but unfortunately we won’t be able to make this change. I know it doesn’t sound like much but even a small change like this can have major negative consequences to our fleet. If we did change it I’m sure it wouldn’t be long before someone requested more, and then more, and more, and the upping would continue until it was unlimited.

guest1 Here’s a quick life update for you….

I recently made the move to Austin about two months ago and am living downtown in a condo. I moved out of the office years ago. I eloped to a girl named Jessica about a year and a half ago. I’m still happily married which is great considering we eloped in vegas after knowing each other just a few months!

I’m 28 now which makes me a dinosaur in the hosting biz, and last I plan to have a kid within a year.

Me there’s nothing more then I want then to be able to have our domain registrar operational and selling millions of domains. We failed miserably with our billing system which is preventing us from doing many things such launching our domain registrar. It’s a miracle our current system functions at all!

This week we signed a deal with a billing company called zuora.com I believe Zuora will be the answer to most of our programming problems and allow us to quickly build the registrar. Basicaly we’re having to start completely over scrapping everything that was done, but with Zuora I believe we could have it all up and running potentially within three months. We’ll see. =(

• Dmw280
    12 October 2011 at 4:57 pm

What was the purpose of that phone call? Wrong number perhaps?

• Trey G
    13 October 2011 at 10:40 am

Hey Brent,
    Congrats on the marriage and the baby plans. Nice to hear you guys are doing well. Is this the same girl that was around the office off of 290? She was nice. Working for Hostgator was a great experience. Internally the company is very well ran and extremely ethical. I enjoyed it thoroughly. As a former employee I am also a very faithful customer knowing how honest and well ran Hostgator is. I hope everything with Lance is good too. Keep up the good work. Ill look you up when I’m in Austin. We could have a beer for old time sake.

Trey G.

• Jan Dirk
    17 October 2011 at 1:47 pm

haha I think it was the wrong number she is talking about school trouble

• Ryan Paul
    18 October 2011 at 10:27 am

Brent

I think you should do three things:

1. Put all your effort into getting HG registrar services up and running – FAST!!!
    2. Offer one year’s free hosting for disgruntled GoDaddy, Network Solutions, & FastHosts) customers.
    3. Call up that stupid woman and offer to pay for her tuition to go back to school.

I hope you manage to destroy GoDaddy & Network Solutions soon. I hope they go bankrupt. I hate them with a passion that words cannot describe.

In all the years myself and my boss have been clients of Hostgator, we’ve had one single major issue which caused me some tension in chest, and throat swelling up (which was to do with not being able to use custom nameservers on a shared hosting plan).

With Network Solutions and GoDaddy… ALL THE DAMNED TIME!!!

If you promise me you’ll take them down – I’ll work for ya for free in any way I can to accomplish that bahahaha!

• Kman82yep
    19 October 2011 at 9:51 pm

What the heck was the lady on the phone talking about? Something about a website blowing up a school? I’m so dang confused….

• Anonymous
    3 November 2011 at 3:11 am

Hah that’s an awesome letter. Sounds like a great chance to win over some new customers.

• Anonymous
    27 November 2011 at 1:21 pm

To: Brent Oxley
    President and CEO
    InMotion Hosting

Fantastic! I love it! What a great way to grab some new business and have fun at the same time.
    This is what this business should be all about…enjoying our time while helping others.
    I sincerely hope you had this person sign up for your free 6 months offer. I would like to say it was me but alas it wasn’t.

Great fun!
    Andy Moore

• Travis Stein
    1 December 2011 at 1:53 pm

Say lady, lay off the crack pipe.

• Peter Sundstrom
    28 December 2011 at 3:12 am

I listened to that audio of the woman calling HG support twice and I still have absolutely no idea what she was talking about.

• Anonymous
    1 March 2012 at 6:49 pm

Hello. This is a very funny story. I have heard such positive things about your company on the warrior forums. Keep it up.

• CandleForex
    21 April 2012 at 1:31 am

That letter was funny to be honest…seriously writing an email to the wrong CEO of the wrong company…it made my day.

• Managed WordPress Hosting