GeoCities Hosting Calls it Quits | HostGator Blog

HostGator Blog!

Web Hosting Made Easy!

Blog / Around the Web

GeoCities Hosting Calls it Quits

Monday, October 26, 2009 by

It looks like GeoCities, the Free Web Hosting service owned by Yahoo!, is officially ending service to website owners today. I’m sure many of you have used their service at one point or another, so it’s kind of sad to see them go down with all of the web sites they hosted. My first web site was on GeoCities, complete with a looping, low-quality instrumental midi file, and animated graphics. Many other free web hosting services like GeoCities have risen and fallen over the years because the free hosting business model just doesn’t seem sustainable.

It’s amazing how many web sites with no business model or profitability sunk during the .com internet bubble. Internet businesses, like any other company, aren’t immune from the age old philosophy of “you need to make money to stay in business”. Now there are a few exceptions to this rule. It’s still possible to come up with a great idea for a web site and receive funding from a venture capital firm (read: Twitter), but for the everyday web business owner, they understand the need to make a profit.

Many GeoCities refugees have migrated over to HostGator, and we want to welcome you all with open arms. We can assure you that HostGator won’t have the same fate as GeoCities because well, we’re a profitable company.

If you have a site with GeoCities and need a new home, post a comment and we’ll try to throw you some free months worth of Hosting at HostGator.

21 Comments
  • Rahul Nimawat
    27 October 2009 at 5:55 am

Yea, agree with you Chad. I also had my very first website on Geocities. I used their web-based sitebuilder to build it. It was an amazing experience for me to have a corner for myself in the Web world.

I have become a full flagged businessman now in the web field. No more free host are useful for me. But, its kind of sad feel seeing Geocities going down.

I appreciate Hostgator supporting various social causes by providing free hosting to NGOs etc. Keep it up.

• Rocky Garcia
    30 October 2009 at 3:27 am

That will be a sad news for site owners this coming Halloween. :-(

• JT Stone
    30 October 2009 at 6:16 pm

It is another part of our internet history that is going by the wayside :-(

I applaud HostGator for offering to help those people transitioning. Hopefully some will find this post and take advantage of the generous offer.

• Tinh
    30 October 2009 at 7:09 pm

That is actually a paradise for Geocities users and thanks very much for great offer from HostGator

• Eames Chair
    5 November 2009 at 7:22 pm

Wow, Geocities.. that brings back memories.. I didn’t even realize they were still around.

• Rocky Garcia
    8 November 2009 at 9:00 pm

That’s a really sad news for website owners who use GeoCities.

• Joshua
    30 November 2009 at 5:54 am

I would be some what concerned about yahoo’s future. Seems like a silly move, to axe a service that im sure 100,000’s would be using…

Google is empowering the free hosting, free search engine, free email and free webmaster tools markets.

Yahoo are insane to make move like this.

• Karl
    1 December 2009 at 6:01 am

It was a rubbish service and of course now it’s the proof – they ended it and those with their website are not left with nothing…

• smith
    31 December 2009 at 4:27 pm

It,s not a good service.I never prefer such a bag site.

• maxtolk
    27 January 2010 at 10:45 am

its a great integration i think because both will benefit from this.. to think that many are still using the web host to their blogs.

• PeterTools
    31 March 2010 at 6:54 pm

GeoCities going down, WoW
    I also started my first site hosted with them, just goes to show nothing is permanent and that like anything you have to work at it.

• andy
    21 April 2010 at 4:12 am

hahah, blogger, you described my experience exactly. Started with geocities in 7th grade. Complete with the looping midi and animations!
    That started my thirst for control over how I wanted my websites to be displayed….
    I never realized how much I owed geocities till this blog. RIP.

• Sorabh Garg
    2 May 2010 at 8:20 pm

Wow, I really appreciate Hostgator’s help for Geocities users. Keep it up!

• Naveed Hasan
    8 May 2010 at 3:21 am

Hey,
    I had not read this newsletter earlier… I was browsing the newsletter archive and found this… If hostgator is really giving out free months of hosting, I am in! Please don’t tell me I am late. Although I have one more payment recently. I hope I do get a response. Besides, I have some great ideas for a web application if someone is willing to sponsor (heartily) me/my ideas.

• Naveed Hasan
    8 May 2010 at 3:23 am

And yes, I forgot to mention, I used to host the Saudi Soccer website at geocities. It is a pretty childish website but since I don’t have to work on it, it is valuable in it’s own place

• Corre the Webbshop Guy
    26 July 2010 at 1:25 pm

Yes I remember that one of my first accounts was with GeoCities. Since then I have trying loads of hosting for my webbshop and of course other web sites. But maybe everything has to end some day?

• Hesus Fish
    24 September 2010 at 5:50 pm

All please note with China, Russia and previous Russian colonies, India , Singapore and all the other IT savvy countries out there , there is no free lunch in the IT area anymore, we need to move to the Bio-medical and Clean energy Industry/ revolution now one step ahead all the time go for it America.

• Engine Optimization Software
    3 October 2010 at 7:21 am

It is a little sad to see it go…
    However, GeoCities could never hold a candle to Hostgator with their customer support! I think Hostgator set’s the standard for online customer support!

• Caresse
    10 December 2010 at 3:18 am

RIP Geocities. You were a first for all of us.

• Saamya Sharma
    28 November 2011 at 9:52 pm

Nice post and informative as well

• John Mann
    23 December 2011 at 10:19 am

Aww, a classic site. My first website was on GeoCities too.